Notes for next time:
- For cornstarch read cornflour
- Continued rubbing in for a while (4), could have probably done more
- Orange juice + zest doesn't take long to start to boil
- Cream mixture initially separated, and went thick before looking like boiling
- Used larger bowl, but will probably fit in smaller glass bowl (1l) for chilling
- Chilled pastry for about 3 hours, was very hard but rolled out okay. Great to make quite flat before chilling... Edges broke when it was rolled out, but not too much of a problem as putting it into the tart pan brings the edges together.
- Cooked for about 17min @180, not all of the base was golden, but most and seemed to continue to brown after taking out.
- Edges sunk down by half during cooking, not a problem as was still high enough for cream mixture.
- Need to sieve the sugar separately before adding to the top, be generous when weighing the sugar.
- Used kitchen torch, need to continue until the sugar get quite liquid. Top picture was not enough, below shows after going over again.
- Tasted as good the next day, so can prepare quite a while in advance.
Made again, 20th May 2015. Here one photo, although I think I needed to blowtorch this lots more so that the lumps of sugar melted and flowed together properly. Clearly sugar better if not lumpy, and properly heated up!